Styrene packaging is ideal among all other materials due to its unique properties. Polystyrene is light in weight and exhibits high thermal resistance. These properties can be molded to the desired shapes to fit the objects perfectly while packing them. Expanded polystyrene costs less than any other packaging materials. They are lightweight and support the products to transport to long distances. Packaging and transportation costs can be dramatically lowered as a result of this. The traditional packaging materials are cardboard, timber, cork, or straw, but these are heavy and add up the transportation cost; EPS is unlike them.
Hygiene and protection are two main features of EPS that make it ideal for packaging. Additionally, the isothermal properties of EPS also help it for packaging temperature-sensitive materials. EPS is used for packing the products to be delivered at the same temperature they were at the time of packing. Meat and fish products are packed with EPS to maintain them at the same temperature to avoid meat spoilage.
Expanded polystyrene is a thermoplastic material made of polystyrene beads. The gas present within the beads is helpful in the expansion of the material. When the steam has applied, the gas in the beads expands and forms the closed cells of EPS. This process of expansion increases the volume of the bead by 40 times.
Polystyrene in food packaging
Expanded polystyrene manufacturers and suppliers in UAE have recognized the importance of the material in packaging the food material and increased the production accordingly. Here we shall explore the facts behind packaging the food material.
- Polystyrene has been declared safe for use in food contact by the FDA for decades. Similar results have been reached by the European Commission/European Food Safety Authority and other regulatory organizations.
- Polystyrene foodservice packaging can reduce foodborne sickness in homes, hospitals, schools, nursing homes, cafeterias, and restaurants.
- The foodservice industry prefers polystyrene foodservice packaging because it performs better than alternatives. Fresh foods keep fresh, hot foods stay hot, and cold foods stay cold. From fresh vegetables to scorching chili, polystyrene packing provides additional convenience and dining delight for individuals on the go.
- Polystyrene foodservice packaging is often more cost-effective than paper-based or reusable alternatives, with wholesale costs up to five times lower (reusable containers require extra equipment, labor, water, electricity, detergent, etc.).
- Commonly used cups, plates, and sandwich containers constructed of foam polystyrene use substantially less energy and water than comparable paper-based or corn-based alternatives, principally due to foam polystyrene’s far lower weight.
Properties that make EPS ideal for packaging
Due to the closed-cell structure of the EPS, it has low thermal conductivity. These closed cells have 98% of air. The expanded air trapped within the cells is a poor conductor of heat energy, giving the foam thermal insulation property.
The packaging material which has low thermal conductivity can meet the regulatory guidelines set up by the authorities. So EPS meets both safety and quality criteria that are required to pack the food material.
If the online food shopping trend rises, then the requirement for temperature-controlled packing increases.
EPS’ power may be modified to fit the application thanks to its flexible manufacturing. EPS with high compressive strength is used for heavy burden-bearing applications, while EPS with a lesser compressive strength can be used for void shaping. EPS foam bundling’s padding features are influenced by the geometry of the formed part and, less significantly, by bead size and handling conditions, just as density is.
EPS is not a hygroscopic material. In any case, when submerged in water, it only absorbs a small amount of water. Water can infiltrate the froth through the tiny passages in the fused beads since the cell dividers are waterproof.
The EPS material’s densities range from 10 to 35 kg/m3. The material’s low density results in a lightweight, making it easy to handle and transport. Because of its lightweight property, EPS ensures that handling of the material is easy.
EPS can be custom-shaped to cover anything from a small electrical component to a huge refrigerator freezer. This decreases the amount of packaging needed, saving space, money on distribution, and money on damaged items. The company brand’s contents can be clearly labeled, and labeling can be placed directly on the box.
Low carbon Impact
Clean manufacturing technologies use the least amount of energy and water while producing zero waste.
All the properties mentioned above of EPS make it the most desired product in packaging services. EPS gives a solution for packing valuable products and food products. It is chemically inert and hygienic for packaging edible products. Styrene Insulation Industry stands as the industry leader in developing more quality EPS and making it available for the companies seeking it to use as a packaging material